How We Hire
We strive to be transparent about our hiring process. While specifics may differ from posting to posting, this is our general process.
- We lint all of our job postings with joblint.org. We always provide a salary range in our postings so there are no surprises for anyone at any stage of the process.
- After posting a job, we'll use social media to spread it amongst our network. We're also actively identifying ways to spread it beyond our network in an attempt to find candidates that wouldn't normally think about applying to Stratasan. We normally don't work with recruiters as we don't see the value.
- Based on the rate of responses, we'll keep this posting up for 2-4 weeks though perhaps longer.
- During this time, we'll conduct phone interviews with candidates meeting the minimal qualifications. This phone call is a behavioral interview and we'll ask questions that don't have right or wrong answers but are designed to get at the candidate's opinions and previous experience. Example questions might be "Describe your ideal deployment pipeline" or "Tell us about a time a release you were involved with didn't go to plan".
- Based on these conversations, we'll invite a few candidates to participate in a project. For developer roles, we'll take an existing issue from our issue tracker, build a development environment and let the candidate tackle the issue. This serves to let us see how they approach problems and gives the candidates the opportunity to see the quality of our codebase and how we write issues. For more operations-based roles, the project will involve designing a new service we'd like to run (as it's more difficult to safely carve out a section of our infrastructure to do work). In either case, we'll absolutely compensate you for this time. We don't believe in asking people to do work for free. If a candidate has time constraints outside of normal business hours, we'll work with them to find a good time to complete the work.
- Then we'll build a schedule lasting no more than half a day to 1) discuss your work, 2) pair-program with a team member, 3) meet more of the team and 4) meet our CEO. We will do this both for candidates local to Nashville and remote candidates. When an interview needs to be remote, we'll use Google Hangouts to share screens and chat with the team.
- Based on the "on-site" and previous steps, we'll determine candidates that we feel will be most successful at Stratasan and provide overviews of our benefits and discuss concrete compensation packages. At this point we'll ask for references and follow-up with those provided.
- We'll extend offers upon agreement of compensation and reference checks.